Thursday 11 January 2024

According to a recent survey, British people want an early ceasefire in the Gaza conflict.


Source: newarab.com


Gapteks.com - Strong support among Britons for an early ceasefire in the Gaza Strip is seen in a recent opinion survey.

 

The poll, which YouGov did with 2,085 individuals in Great Britain on December 20 and 21, was done in the midst of Israel's deadly attack on the beleaguered Palestinian enclave.

 

According to the study, 48% of respondents think there should be an immediate ceasefire, and 23% think there probably should, for a total of 71% who are in favor.


According to a poll conducted on behalf of the advocacy group Council for Arab-British Understanding (Caabu) and the humanitarian organization Medical Aid for Palestinians (MAP), just 12 percent of respondents believe that there should not be an immediate stop to hostilities.


"An unprecedented humanitarian crisis has emerged in Gaza as a result of three months of bombardment and siege," MAP CEO Melanie Ward stated in a news statement on Wednesday.


"The health system is failing, children are malnourished, and over two million people are without a place to live.


"The message from the public couldn't be clearer: this must end now, and our politicians must play their part in making that happen."


Though they have refrained from demanding an immediate halt to the fighting, the UK government and the main opposition Labour Party have stated their support for a "sustainable ceasefire" in the Gaza conflict.

 

Residential structures, ambulances, and hospitals have all been struck by Israel during its invasion on Gaza. More than 23,350 individuals have died as a result of it, mostly women and children.


Caabu director Chris Doyle said the YouGov survey showed a "massive gap" between the UK's political leaders and the populace.


On social networking platform X, he stated, "The latter can clearly see that an immediate ceasefire is vital."


Additionally, 22% of British respondents said they had greater sympathy for the Palestinian side in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.


Thirty-two percent sympathize equally with both sides, sixteen percent feel more connected to the Israeli side, and 29 percent are unsure.


The youngest adults have the strongest support for the Palestinians: 39% of those in the 18 to 24 age group feel more sympathy for them.


In addition, the poll questioned British citizens if they favor or disapprove of the way the UK government has handled the Israeli-Palestinian crisis thus far. Of those surveyed, 17% strongly or somewhat agreed.


While 31% are neither in favor nor against, 22% say they don't know, and 29% strongly or somewhat disagree.


Only 9% of respondents are satisfied with Labour's handling of the matter, while 30% are not.


Another 29% are unsure, and 33% are neither in favor nor against.


It occurs as the findings of a survey of 8,000 men and women from 16 Arab nations were released on Wednesday by the Qatar-based Arab Center for Research and Policy Studies.


When questioned about governments' reactions to Israel's assault on Gaza, the survey revealed that over 75% of participants had a bad opinion of the UK.


Source: newarab.com

No comments:

Post a Comment